St.Mark’s story stretches back at least to 1814, to a time just before the Battle of Waterloo. The first records available concern the funeral of a British soldier who died in hospital – and there is a note that “the above was taken prisoner”. These and several other records were (thanks to another soldier) snatched from a fire in 1911 that destroyed what appears to have been the original St.Mark’s Church – an iron-structured building in rue du Peintre Lebrun.
The church of St.Mark’s was rebuilt in 1912 on the same site. The photos of that event can be seen in the downstairs lobby of the current church building: Rue du Peintre Lebrun is situated just to the north of the main entrance of the Chateau, and the tiny church is still there!